- 2 onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 fresh chilies or some chili paste or chipotle
- 3 peppers (e.g. 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green)
- 15 champignons
- 4 carottes
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans of beans (e.g. kidney beans, butter beans, or black beans)
- Salt and pepper
- Cumin powder
- Fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Sour cream
- Oil for frying
Chop and fry the onions, garlic, and chilies. Dice the peppers and the mushrooms, and mix it in. Add any other vegetable, you have at hand (e.g. aubergine or courgette). After a few minutes, add tomatoes and beans, and season it to your liking. Leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes, and add more spices or water to the desired consistency and taste.
Serve with rice, bread, tortillas, tortilla chips, or mashed potatoes. Either way, with a nice cool bit of sour cream on the side, and some coriander sprinkled over. Well, actually I'd suggest to leave the dosing of coriander to your guests individually, as this is an ingredient that many disagree with...!